No. 135 Reprinted from Official correspondence relating to the peace negotiations June-September 1921 (Dublin, 1921)
David Lloyd George to Eamon de Valera
London, 24 June 1921
The British Government are deeply anxious that, so far as they can assure it, the King's appeal for reconciliation in Ireland shall not have not been made in vain. Rather than allow yet another opportunity of settlement in Ireland to be cast aside, they felt it incumbent upon them to make a final appeal, in the spirit of the King's words,1 for a conference between themselves and the representatives of Southern and Northern Ireland.
I write, therefore, to convey the following invitation to you as the chosen leader of the great majority in Southern Ireland, and to Sir James Craig, the Premier of Northern Ireland:-
- (1) That you should attend a conference here in London, in company with Sir James Craig, to explore to the utmost the possibility of a settlement.
- (2) That you should bring with you for the purpose any colleagues whom you may select. The Government will, of course, give a safe conduct to all who may be chosen to participate in the conference.
We make this invitation with a fervent desire to end the ruinous conflict which has for centuries divided Ireland and embittered the relations of the peoples of these two islands, who ought to live in neighbourly harmony with each other, and whose co-operation would mean so much not only to the Empire but to humanity.
We wish that no endeavour should be lacking on our part to realise the King's prayer, and we ask you to meet us, as we will meet you, in the spirit of conciliation for which His Majesty appealed.
Your obedient servant,
David Lloyd George
Users who read this document also viewed...
- Document No. 137 Volume 1 (01 July 1921) Eamon de Valera to David Lloyd George Read more...
- Document No. 141 Volume 1 (20 July 1921) David Lloyd George to Eamon de Valera Read more...
- Document No. 139 Volume 1 (15 July 1921) Eamon de Valera to Michael Collins Read more...
- Document No. 138 Volume 1 (08 July 1921) Eamon de Valera to David Lloyd George Read more...
- Document No. 143 Volume 1 (24 July 1921) Handwritten notes by Eamon de Valera of a meeting of the 'Inner Cabinet' Read more...
Other Documents in this category
- 25/12/1920 - Art O'Brien - Michael Collins
- 21/12/1920 - Michael Collins - Art O'Brien
- 17/12/1920 - Arthur Griffith - Michael Collins
- 14/12/1920 - Michael Collins - Arthur Griffith
- 12/12/1920 - Art O'Brien - Michael Collins
- 02/12/1920 - Art O'Brien - Arthur Griffith
- 04/08/1921 - Harry Boland - Eamon de Valera
- 31/07/1921 - Eamon de Valera - Jan Christian Smuts
- 28/07/1921 - Robert Brennan - Patrick J. Little
- 24/07/1921 - Eamon de Valera
- July 1921. - Erskine Childers
- 20/07/1921 - David Lloyd George - Eamon de Valera
- 19/07/1921 - Eamon de Valera - Michael Collins
- 15/07/1921 - Eamon de Valera - Michael Collins
- 08/07/1921 - Eamon de Valera - David Lloyd George
- 01/07/1921 - Robert Brennan - george gavan duffy
- 28/06/1921 - Eamon de Valera - David Lloyd George
- 24/06/1921 - David Lloyd George - Eamon de Valera
- 18/06/1921 - Michael Collins - George Gavan Duffy
- 04/06/1921 - Eamon de Valera - Lord Justice O'Connor
- 18/05/1921 - Sťamus ” Concubair - Eamon de Valera
- 12/05/1921 - Maurice Moore
- 24/04/1921 - Eamon de Valera - Laurence Ginnell
- Jan. 1921 - James O'Connor