No. 145 UCDA P150/1914
Eamon de Valera to Jan Christian Smuts
Mansion House, Dublin, 31 July 1921
My dear General Smuts:-
I received your letter of July 29th, and have had two conversations with Mr. Lane. He will tell you that the proposals of the British Government will not be accepted here.1
Unless the North East comes in on some reasonable basis no further progress can be made. An Ireland in fragments nobody cares about. A unified Ireland alone can be happy or prosperous.
To the British Commonwealth group and to Britain itself Ireland would readily become friendly, but it is only in freedom that friendship could come. To the principle of national self-determination our people are devotedly attached, for they recognise in it a principle vital to the peace of the world. The Republic is the expression of that principle in their own regard. These then they will not readily abandon, but they are prepared to make great sacrifices in other directions.
The question of procedure and form as distinguished from substance are very important, as I pointed out to you. The British do not seem to realise this at all. Your understanding of the situation is particularly necessary at that end therefore. I am very glad you are able to remain on for a little time longer. I know how your people are clamouring for you, but the cause you are assisting is a truly great and worthy one.
Very sincerely yours,
Eamon de Valera
Users who read this document also viewed...
- Document No. 137 Volume 1 (01 July 1921) Eamon de Valera to David Lloyd George Read more...
- Document No. 141 Volume 1 (20 July 1921) David Lloyd George to Eamon de Valera Read more...
- Document No. 138 Volume 1 (08 July 1921) Eamon de Valera to David Lloyd George Read more...
- Document No. 143 Volume 1 (24 July 1921) Handwritten notes by Eamon de Valera of a meeting of the 'Inner Cabinet' Read more...
- Document No. 144 Volume 1 (28 July 1921) Robert Brennan to Patrick J. Little (South Africa) Read more...
Other Documents in this category
- 25/12/1920 - Art O'Brien - Michael Collins
- 21/12/1920 - Michael Collins - Art O'Brien
- 17/12/1920 - Arthur Griffith - Michael Collins
- 14/12/1920 - Michael Collins - Arthur Griffith
- 12/12/1920 - Art O'Brien - Michael Collins
- 02/12/1920 - Art O'Brien - Arthur Griffith
- 04/08/1921 - Harry Boland - Eamon de Valera
- 31/07/1921 - Eamon de Valera - Jan Christian Smuts
- 28/07/1921 - Robert Brennan - Patrick J. Little
- 24/07/1921 - Eamon de Valera
- July 1921. - Erskine Childers
- 20/07/1921 - David Lloyd George - Eamon de Valera
- 19/07/1921 - Eamon de Valera - Michael Collins
- 15/07/1921 - Eamon de Valera - Michael Collins
- 08/07/1921 - Eamon de Valera - David Lloyd George
- 01/07/1921 - Robert Brennan - george gavan duffy
- 28/06/1921 - Eamon de Valera - David Lloyd George
- 24/06/1921 - David Lloyd George - Eamon de Valera
- 18/06/1921 - Michael Collins - George Gavan Duffy
- 04/06/1921 - Eamon de Valera - Lord Justice O'Connor
- 18/05/1921 - Sťamus ” Concubair - Eamon de Valera
- 12/05/1921 - Maurice Moore
- 24/04/1921 - Eamon de Valera - Laurence Ginnell
- Jan. 1921 - James O'Connor