No. 216 UCDA P150/1930
Cabinet Meeting of December 8, 1921, copy of notes taken by Erskine Childers1
Dublin, 8 December 1921
|Dublin to await opinion.|
|Dec. 8 Cabinet Meeting.
|(2) A. G. said he would not split country _ would not break but would leave it to Dail.|
|No. 3 Instruction to Delegates|
|(1) Draft should have been sent to||A.G. said we submitted docs|
(documents) here to Cabinet.
|Treaty gone through|
|Asked Dev to come over.||A.G. On what basis
|Dev. said M.C. advised him not to go.||M.C. Recommendation to Dail.|
|Did not matter. Undertaking not to break — Dail||Dev. Signed by all.|
|But this not the point||Before knowledge of how Cabinet stood|
|We did not get documents which are new.||G.D. I signed: all must sign and recommend. Can I be here at adjourned meeting (yes)|
|M.C. We have only recommended it to Dail Eireann.||Adjournment till 3|
|Dev. No _ Much more I have to oppose Treaty.||3 p.m.|
|A.G. It was war or not Plenipotentiaries only continuance of truce.||O'H. Was there undertaking that All should sign|
|M.C. R.C.B. and G.D. didn't raise it.||Dev 'Minute of Cab Meeting 3rd A.G. said document could not be signed but must go to Dail Otherwise I would probably have gone to L.|
|G.D. and R.C.B. Didn't occur to me.||A.G. If I could have left it to Dáil, would have. No choice. Letters going we took decision and don't regret it.|
|A.G. (Defence clause altered to our recommendation)||G.J.D. ditto|
|Dev. I can't work like this principle and co-ordination and team.||Dev. but definite understanding You could have done with it|
|E.J.D. No choice _ we couldn't shift responsibility||all speak?|
|A.G. definitely broke pledge||A.G. I stand over doc|
|A.G. Personal to me (unkind?)||R.C.B. I do so too|
|Dev. I would have gone and said 'go to the devil: I will not sign'||I was intimidated|
|G.D. Don't say delegation.||I had to declare war on my own behalf
recommend to Cab and Dail
Users who read this document also viewed...
- Document No. 217 Volume 1 (13 December 1921) Proposed Alternative Treaty of Association between Ireland and the British Commonwealth presented by Mr Eamon de Valera to a Secret Session of Dáil Éireann on 14 December 1921 Read more...
- Document No. 215 Volume 1 (08 December 1921) Minutes of a Cabinet Meeting held on 8 December 1921 Read more...
- Document No. 209 Volume 1 (03 December 1921) Copy of secretary's notes of meeting of the cabinet and delegation held 3 December 1921 Read more...
- Document No. 161 Volume 1 (07 October 1921) Note by Eamon Duggan to Eamon de Valera Read more...
- Document No. 177 Volume 1 (25 October 1921) Memorandum from Eamon de Valera to Arthur Griffith (London) Read more...